
The famous chalk tower at Flamborough Head now boasts a new interpretation board, funded by East Riding of Yorkshire Council, in association with the Friends of the Chalk Tower.
The new board tells the story of the history of the tower, which was built in 1674 as a lighthouse by Sir John Clayton and George Blake. The tower contains 98 steps to the top.
Martin Burnhill, the council’s senior facilities manager (coastal), said:
“This is a great example of the way the council can interpret historic buildings with the support of the Friends, who in turn will be able to seek additional grant funding for the further restoration and improved access to the Tower. We wanted to let people know the history of this well-known and much-loved building.”
Ships passing the tower were supposed to pay a tax – based on the weight of their cargo – to Clayton to support the provision of fires at the top of the lighthouse. Unfortunately, payment of the tax was voluntary, and so many mariners refused to pay that Clayton went bankrupt. This was the end for the lighthouse.
The white chalk tower was visible from afar, and was particularly useful as a signalling point. Semaphore telegraphy was devised in 1792 to transmit visual coded messages with coloured flags on the top of the tower, which may well have been used in conjunction with the fort in Bridlington. Messages were transmitted during the Napoleonic wars.
In the mid nineteenth century, local man George Mainprize messaged passing vessels in semaphore with waving flags from the top of the tower.
Since 1952, the tower has been listed Grade II Star as a beacon tower, and was restored in 1996.
Jane Lowery, secretary of the Friends of the Chalk Tower, Flamborough, added:
“We are truly grateful to the council for the support they have given us for this superb new interpretation board. We are working on plans to improve the access to the Tower to allow us, in association with the council, to open the tower to the public on special occasions.”
“This has all been made possible by the Mick Aston Archaeological Fund, which has enabled The Friends to promote our aims, and to create an excellent working relationship with the council.”